Sunday, February 7, 2010

Collaboration: Nomi, Warhol, and Progress Report

I've recently watched a documentary about the musician, Klaus Nomi, and heard a lecture about Andy Warhol. Collaboration is one of the most important things that we can learn from these two artists. Even though Nomi eventually sold out at the end of his career and got rid of his original band, the way in which everything started with him was a series of chance meetings and friends having fun and messing around. Warhol's factory was a place for artists to exchange ideas and just hang out, and some of his collaborations with other artists are among his most interesting pieces.

Even though a lot of the time it may seem hard to work with other people, and to cooperate, looking at what these two men have been able to accomplish with other people shows us just how important doing that can be. Maybe you have an idea that you think is pretty good but you don't know how to carry it out... bouncing ideas off of someone else is usually a pretty good way to get around your obstacle.

This has made me think a lot about what I'm doing in my project. I see it as a kind of collaboration because I am going to base my film off of what other people have told me about their dreams. I'm also always open to suggestions from other people. I really appreciate it when people give me ideas, because it usually adds something totally new that I would never have thought of. So, to all of you out there... any light bulbs? In the next week I will be posting a video of some clips of the interviews that I've been doing.

What a catchy song... good to dance to late at night with your roomie:

1 comment:

  1. There is a magic about the coming together of people and some kind of creative thing happening as a result. The question is how to sustain it and how to keep enabling it to happen?

    ReplyDelete