Sunday, January 24, 2010

Progress report

I started my interviews this weekend, and so far I have had 6 victims. I have had about 10-15 more people who said they will do it. Before I do anymore interviews, I am going to review my footage in the computer lab to make sure that everything looks and sounds alright. I think that there is one interview that I'm going to have to redo because there seemed to be some sort of light balance thing off in the camera. The first interview I did using the same exact lighting looked a lot better, as did the the ones that followed. Overall I think it's gone pretty well so far.

I'm going to use these interviews as my stepping stone toward making a fictional film. I am going to use the information that they have given me about their dreams in order to make a short dream-like film. Even with only 5 people so far I've gotten a lot to work with. I've definitely seen trends between the 5 of them, and I recognize those same trends within my own dreams.

And now for something completely different ...

4 comments:

  1. I showed a movie in the cinema last week called Paper Heart (I think it was called that). It was one of those indie flicks (with Michael Cera, of course). The movie was based around interviews about love while the interviewer fell in love with Michael Cera (as himself). What ended up happening was the interviews WAY overshadowed the movie and made me wish it was a documentary. But something cool they did with the movie was make B-roll footage for the interviews out of little paper figurines.

    Morals of the story:
    a) be careful with the way the movie compliments the interviews
    b) have you thought about some type of B-roll for during the interviews? Maybe connected to the plot in some way...???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Molly,

    I've seen the older version of dream interviews you did, I wonder if you'd ever thought of using some special kind of filming process/after effects to reflect that kind of dream state.

    I agree with Liam too, maybe you can direct and film representations of the dreams. Sort of adding your interpretations of the film maker perspective of what your interviewee's dreams look like.

    When I think about dreaming, I always think about the blurring of reality and dream state, I thought it will be real cool to incorporate some kind of experimental editing to reflect the surreal quality of dreaming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! Think about B-roll to get away from the talking head although certain compositions and camera dwellings can be riveting (see Errol Morris's "Fog of War"!). Arthur Tress in the 1970s asked children to re-enact their dreams and he made some eerie photographs of their "performances". What would happen if you did that today, but with color video?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like an interesting idea. I don't think that I explained correctly what it is I want to do. I want to make a separate film from the interviews. The purpose of the interviews are to get an idea of what sorts of things happen in people's dreams, and then I am going to make a film out of this. These are all good ideas though, and I'll definitely consider all of them. Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete