Saturday, January 23, 2010

Laurie Anderson

I thought that it was very interesting what Anderson had to say about preserving her art. She talked a lot about how many of her performances were supposed to be "in the moment," and just effect the people who were there to witness it. There would be no record of the performance except in people's minds. The reason that she started documenting her performances had to do with people misinterpreting her art. Anderson got frustrated when people would talk about her performances and get her idea of what it was about wrong. This was something that I didn't particularly like about what she had to say. To me, a big part of all art forms is that they are open to interpretation. It might mean one thing to the artist and a completely different thing to someone else. In my opinion that is part of the beauty of art. The ability for one object, song, painting, etc. to have so many different possible meanings is so amazing to me. I think that the same piece of art can even mean different things to the same person depending on their mood or what is going on in their life at the time. This is my biggest beef with Anderson.

I had heard that Anderson did a project about dreams, and since I am doing my own dream related project I thought I would look into it. She had an exhibition called The Waters Reglitterized shown at a gallery in New York in 2005 where she recreated her dreams in art form. Click here to see a website about this exhibition. I think that looking into her project and how she interpreted her dreams will help me along with my project.

No comments:

Post a Comment